Illustrated Book Covers: Chloe by Design Volume 2



I'm so excited my latest illustrated books, Chloe by Design Volume 2 are almost here! I've illustrated not only one, but four, new books in the Chloe by Design series and they're all currently available for pre-order! These books are available as single bound copy Chloe by Design: Balancing Act or broken down into four individual library bound hardcover editions: Intern Ambition, Design Disaster, Runway Rundown and Fashion Week Finale. As a sneak peek today I'm sharing a few of the cover designs, their base pencil sketches and a glimpse at them as they were illustrated works-in-progress done in pencil, marker, gouache and ink.
In this latest volume Chloe won the Design Diva tv competition and is now immersed in the world of a fictitious famous fashion designer as a design intern. She's assisting building his collection to show at New York Fashion Week. The theme of the collection is 1920s art-deco, so many of my illustrations throughout the books are bold geometric patterns and metallic motifs. I've always loved art-deco designs, so rendering many of these patterns and painting the intricate beaded embellishments they required was a joy.
My favorite illustration of the all covers turned out to be the menswear look (much to my surprise!) atop this post, adorning Runway Rundown. In close second was Balancing Act with its golden ballgown with beaded bodice and Intern Ambition's sequined deco cigarette pants. I tried to make each girl a different ethnicity and have a different personality to appeal to a wide audience but maintain a cohesive overall look. Chloe by Design volume two's release date is September 1st but you can pre-order your copies now. Be sure and follow me along on Instagram (@brooklit) too, as I plan to share peeks are the interior sketches throughout the next few weeks.

Leave a Comment

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

So interesting to see how the covers and your amazing sketches came to life! I love the Runway Rundown look! Congrats!

Brooke Hagel said...

@Will, Thanks!! It was funny that originally was the one I was least thrilled about, and also turned to be my favorite. Isn't that how it always happens though?